The memoir "Unbowed" by Wangari Maathai is one of the more interesting stories I've read about someone's life. The fact that she was able to get an education coming from Africa at her particular time was a huge thing for someone to do. I've read many memoirs about people who were born and grew up in Africa and this is one of the less tragic ones I've read out of those select few. Personally, memoirs are my most favorite types of literature to read (ahead of sports books) so that definitely makes reading this a lot easier for me, even though I do find this book interesting.
I'm a person who's very into details, so one of the most interesting parts for me in the beginning of this book was the way she describes her father. "My father was tall, well over six feet, and muscular. He had an authoritative voice and was a dominating figure in our household.... My father's physical strength was legendary. Some of the older people still remark on it: 'Your father was so strong, he didn't need the jack to change the wheel of his car.'" (12). It never ceases to amaze me how people in memoirs describe their parents, especially older people whos parents have passed away within their lifetime. Maathai provides great detail not only about her parents but about her early childhood and her old memories throughout the village she used to live in. The beginning of this memoir has definitely caught my attention, so I'm excited to finish the rest of Maathai's story to see where her life has taken her. After all, if she wrote a memoir then her life must have more interesting parts to it that I have yet to read about!
I actually haven't read many memoirs in my life, but I always enjoy them particularly because of the first-hand perspective. Maathai's story of her childhood is one of dedication, focus and I especially liked the parts detailing the Kenyan culture. The description she gives of her family, the land and their interaction is superb and really keeps the reader hooked. It's also nice how she organized the flow moving from past to present so that it isn't at all confusing, if anything it further explains her story. The perspective of someone who came from Africa as a woman to further her education while experiencing the American culture at the same time is fascinating. It's definitely nice to read a memoir that's so inspiring and truthful written by a Kenyan woman, looking forward to finding out what comes next!
ReplyDelete