Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Art Project


When I was brainstorming for this project, I wanted to think of something creative that I could do with nature. I thought about Andy Goldworthy’s projects and how he did them for inspiration but I couldn’t come up with anything. Then, one morning I woke up and the idea came to me. I decided I was going to put footprints in the mud, and fill them with trash to convey the message of the harmful impact we are putting on our Earth.
To make the project, I went home because I don’t live far away and I knew there was a perfect spot where I could make my project. The materials I used were big boots and trash. I first started to collect the trash from things in my garbage at home and also things I found on the road. I then looked for the biggest boots I could find so I could make big footprints that would allow me to fill each one with a significant amount of trash. I stuck my boot in the mud and wiggled it around so I make the footprint a little deep to fit the trash in. I then fit the trash in by cutting some things and moving it around within the footprint so I could put many things in each one. One I had put the trash in, I formed the mud around each print to give it a more footprint look to it. It didn’t take long to make the project, probably around 30 minutes. I cut a lot of the trash so that way it could fit properly into the space. For example, I cut the milk bottle so that way it could appear like it is sticking out of the ground.
My project turned out how I had envisioned it. It did not take me multiple times to achieve the finished product. I fixed it as I went if there was anything I didn’t like. I believe I made the message clear that I wanted to. I want people to look at the picture and think about littering and the impact that we as humans are putting on the world we live on. I think it is important because it is an issue everyone is aware of. I wanted to bring attention to the issue so it got people thinking about their personal impact on the Earth.
Doing this project made me learn more about the deeper meaning behind art and how you can send a message without any words at all. I had fun making the project and to be honest, playing in the mud was pretty fun too.

2 comments: