Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Story Of Stuff

                The Story Of Stuff somewhat reminded me of Jenson’s article Forget Shorter Showers. They both talked about how we are destroying our planet’s resources for objects, or in this case “stuff”.  One thing that I would have rather seen in this video The Story Of Stuff is actual footage of toxic landfills, or the destruction of our plant, such as cutting down trees or blowing up mountains. I think if it was actually shown it would have made a greater impact on people’s view of what happens to our environment to produce the goods we buy every day. One fact that the lady stated was that we have used 1/3 of our natural recourse in the past decade. This although is a lot does not surprise me at all. Since I can remember our society has come out with a new technology device every year. To me it seems stupid for people to want the newest things as soon as they come out when the old ones are still working. The world and especially the United States have become very materialistic over the last 50 years. I always here from my grandparents, “you are so lucky, we never had these things when we were growing up.” The end of the film brings up an idea that we need to have a cycle of production, consuming and recycling our products, instead of throwing everything out and buying the newest thing on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment