When I first saw this art project on the syllabus I was certain that it was not going to be any fun. But after watching the Movie on Andy Goldsworthy I saw how fun it can be working with nature. Goldsworthy woke up every morning without knowing what he was going to create and just used his imagination and resources that he was able to find in nature to create something beautiful, even if it only lasted a few hours and nobody else saw it.
Since there was still snow on the ground and having to use things found in nature to create this art; I knew I could make a snow fort, which is something I have done before and I had all the supplies I needed to do the job. Although I did have to use a shovel I was able to create a well sized snow cave, which I myself could fit in. To create this I first had to shovel a bunch of snow in a pile, which was exhausting work, and now I realize how much energy Goldsworthy had to put in to carry all the rocks to make his egg shell. I then packed all the snow down by lying down on top of it, and then I would shovel a little more snow on top of it and repeatedly lay on the top of it. Finally I was able to start digging out the middle of the pile with my hands to create a space big enough for me to crawl in and lay down in.
Although I have done this before it was still very hard work. After watching the video Rivers and Tides what I got out of it was that we take for granted our homes and how we live. I have heard many stories of people getting lost in the woods and have to make a snow cave for shelter, as a matter of fact; two kids from Farmington had to do this when they got lost on the backside of Sugarloaf last year. It is these types of shelters that have saved many lives by using natural resources from the environment.
At first when I thought about this project I really had no idea what I could construct. After the movie I realized that I could create something that I have actually done for fun in the winters. Although it did take a lot of physical work to complete I was able to do it without the fort collapsing which would have been frustrating. My message through this project is that resources in nature can be used for many things and the one I displayed is the most important part of human nature which is survival.

No comments:
Post a Comment