Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Connecting Nature to My Future

When watching Andy Goldworthy’s movie on how he connected to nature I thought about how I would like to connect to nature. In Goldworthy’s movie “Rivers and Tides” he connects to nature by building great piece of art with nothing but the nature supplies found in the world. When I think of nature and how I would like to be connected I always dream of having a log cabin in the woods. Not only is the house in the woods it is made up of what the woods are too. It is not completely connecting with nature just to have a log cabin but it is nature but it is the process of building one and then connecting to the environment after, Living in a log cabin in the woods would make me sense me attached to the woods because the cabin looks like it belongs in the woods. It is hard to connect with nature with a brand new mansion built in the woods.
            So when it come down to make an art project like in Goldworthy’s movie it was easy to pick a log cabin to make. The sticks to build the log cabin were easy to find as well but to build it was another story. Well at least to build one that actually liked like a log cabin. The sticks are easy to come by even on this college campus, but it is Maine. It is unlike Massachusetts like where I am from, where it is hard enough to find woods. There are woods but it is not like Maine where everyone has a section of woods on their property. So it seems easy to stray away from being connected to environment. But I have Always dream of having a Cabin in the woods but to still be close to a city. Building this replica of a log cabin showed me all the hard work to make a full scale one. The thing that worked for me was making layer and layers of sticks for a foundation. But the trouble was getting it to stay up and look somewhat level all away around. My intent in building this log cabin was to create something that in the future I hope I could get to farther connect me to nature. What happen is along the way I connected to nature right way instead of just throwing sticks together to make this I really had to get to know each stick to see which stick was best for each position. This project was important to me because it made me think about how I wanted to connect to nature in my future. Not only did it connect me to nature now but helped open my eyes to how I can keep connecting to nature. What I got out of this project as a whole is even if I don’t get that Log Cabin I have dreamed about I can still find other ways to connect to nature. Just by making this model of a log cabin has made me closer to nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment