A Blog for use by students in ENG 100 First Year Writing Seminar "Thinking Green: Expanding Your Environmental Consciousness" with Prof. Gretchen Legler at the University of Maine Farmington, Spring 2011.
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Chapters 1-6 Unbowed
Wangari Maathai's Memoir Unbowed is the most interesting story of someones life that I've ever read. Wangari was of writing is so intriguing that it pulls the reader in. I wasn't very excited when I saw that I needed to read 138 pages with looking at a few pictures at the end but I am so happy that I had to. Wangari tells a story of how her family came to be and then her and all of her siblings and the story of her growing up. I like how she explains about the landscape, and traditions as she was going through it and then also what it is like now. Some details that she writes about amaze me, for example, when she talks about how sometimes in the culture the males have more than one wife. In Wangari's case her father had 4 wife's including her mother. The Women didn't at all seem to be upset by this even though in some cases they were leaving in the same house as the other wife's and there kids. The children called the mothers by "oldest mother" and so on, what amazes me. Also I get caught up when Wangari talks about her house. At one point she talks about how her mother and her sister and her moved back to her uncles so her mother could now take care of the children because it wasn't his duty to do so. Her mother, her sister, and Wangari all move in with the uncle because their house was being built by mud, and it was only a two room. This wasn't that long ago, and i feel like this type of thing happened way over one hundred years ago. I very much so enjoyed the first 6 chapters so far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment