Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chapters 1-6 of Unbowed

Wangari Maathai is a beautiful writer. Her story draws people in and gets the reader interested. She has lived a very interesting life and reading about it is educating. It goes to show you how different life is in different areas of the world, for example, education. Many people take advantage of an education and school, but some people don’t have the opportunity to go to school at all. I really enjoyed reading Unbowed because the story is very well written. She put her whole life in a book in such great detail that it is almost as if you know her. One word for Maathai’s writing is powerful and I believe it is because she writes from the heart. For example she says, “What I know now is that my parents raised me in an environment that did not give reason for fear and uncertainty. Instead, there many reasons to dream, to be creative, and to use my imagination.” (19) Usually when I have to read for school, I don’t like reading books that I am not interested in or are hard to read. However, this book is a good read and I enjoy hearing her story. I also really like how she included the pictures because they were a great visual after reading the first six chapters. It was a great way for her to better connect with the reader because we actually get to see the people, events, and places in her life as if we the reader were there too.

1 comment:

  1. Alexa –
    I totally agree with the fact that Wangari Maathai is an excellent writer. She has a unique way of writing her life story in detailed description. It’s amazing to me that she has been around the world and accomplished so much with such success.
    I especially agree with the whole education thing. Too often do people (including myself at times) take advantage of their education and the infinite possibilities it gives them. There are many people who don’t get the opportunity to increase their knowledge and find their true passion in life.
    I really like how Wangari explained the type of environment she grew up in with the limitless creativity and imagination because that is one of the most vital environments for children to be exposed to as they develop. Modern westernized culture has put too much emphasis on conformity and through the depletion of individualization, creativity and imagine just seem to go out the window.
    In chapter six Wangari begins talking about her partnership in the Green Belt Movement. This is where it gets most interesting, if you ask me. I really like the idea that trees are the basis of the planet’s survival. I like how she goes about things by simply recognizing that they need to be fixed and then going out to do something about it.
    Overall, I have enjoyed the story so far, and am curious to see where we are leaded into the next stage of Wangari Maathai’s life.

    ReplyDelete