A Blog for use by students in ENG 100 First Year Writing Seminar "Thinking Green: Expanding Your Environmental Consciousness" with Prof. Gretchen Legler at the University of Maine Farmington, Spring 2011.
Friday, March 18, 2011
Dr. Oyieke's Presentation
Dr. Oyieke’s presentation was very informative and she seemed like a really nice woman. It was really nice of her to come to Farmington to speak to us and it was cool listening to somebody talk about things we had been discussing in class and reading about in Unbowed. I liked how she started out explaining where Kenya is and the type of wildlife there such as elephants, frogs, cheetahs, and impalas. She then proceeded to talk about the Tana River. The Tana River is now full of silt due to projects upstream which makes the water undrinkable. I found that very interesting when she brought that up because I feel everybody in the world should have clean drinking water. It amazes me how so many people in the world don’t have even clean water to drink and that is a problem. Dr. Oyieke also talked about the roles and responsibilities of men and women and also the different views on environment between men and women. She also mentioned the definition for a sustainable development, which she said is “that which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” I found that interesting because with the way we are currently treating our Earth, it may be harder for our future generations to meet their needs. I liked how at the end of her presentation she made everyone say “asante sana” which I then learned means “thank you”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment