A Blog for use by students in ENG 100 First Year Writing Seminar "Thinking Green: Expanding Your Environmental Consciousness" with Prof. Gretchen Legler at the University of Maine Farmington, Spring 2011.
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Story of Stuff Response
I really enjoyed watching this video. It brought things together that I previously knew in a way that was easy to understand. For example, I knew that things now a days do not last very long but it never occurred to me that is was designed that way. I was very shocked when she mentioned how 99% of of our stuff is trashed after six months! That seems like too short of a time. I wouldn't want to keep buying the same thing (or the newer version) every six months! That is a waste of money. Personally, I like to say that I am not apart of the large group of people that constantly need new things or seems to throw things away because there is a newer version of the same thing out. The whole thing almost seems like a brainwashing of the people. We are tricked into thinking that the more we buy, the more happier we are, but that isn't the case and she mentions that as well. She says that as soon as consumption increased, the happiness of our nation decreased. And that just goes to show you the actual value of our "stuff". The whole video was eye opening and very informative which I believe was the point she wanted to get across.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment