Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Environmental Art Project


For my environmental art project, inspired by Goldsworthy, I chose to make a construction that had a greater symbolic meaning and used only what nature had to offer. To create my construction I found a flat, snow-covered area, and then collected several pinecones and pine needles I had come across earlier in the day. I created a square area of pine needles in the snow, and then surrounded it by large pinecones. I then placed a smaller pinecone in the center of the green needles.

The materials I chose were easily found around campus. To me the pinecones symbolized a strong and unique individual that also works well with others. They fit together well, making an excellent way to create a wall. The pine needles symbolized a safe zone to me, they are soft and lay flat, and that is where I decided to put the small pinecone, on the needles in the protection of the walls that surrounded it. My intent was to create a structure that had a symbolic meaning, and I believe I succeeded with that. I created a piece of art that promotes peace and security in a life that can sometimes get cold and become a slippery slope.

What worked is the idea of interlocking the pinecones and making them connect. I think these interlocking pinecones are most symbolic parts to my project. I came into a few struggles along the way, but it only made me concentrate more on what I was trying to say through my piece of art. I was originally going to create the construction on a sheet of ice, but whenever the wind would blow, it was destroyed. There were several times I chased all my materials around the campus as they blew away. It was an abnormally windy day, so I found myself having to adapt to my surroundings. I decided to place it in the snow because there I could press the pine cones into the snow a bit to help them be more secure. I believe the message I was trying to create from the little pinecone being protected by the bigger pinecones was clearly made in my picture.

At first, I was a bit hesitant about this project, because I am in no way a great artist, but now I am glad I had the opportunity. Every step, from collecting my materials, finding a spot where it was not too windy to create my construction, and then taking a picture of the final product was a learning experience. This project made me pay attention to resources I never really pay attention to on campus and helped me to connect with nature. I also learned that when I wear my Birkenstock sandals in mud season, I should watch out for giant mud puddles that are around campus. Overall, I think my message in the piece is clear, although people could interpret it differently, I was able to express my feelings and ideas using nothing but my natural resources.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    I really love your project. It is beautiful. Can't wait to talk about it in class on Wednesday. Prof. L.

    ReplyDelete