The last five chapters were quite interesting and many things happened. Honestly, I think it would have made more sense to break up the reading so it would be easier to focus on the events that happened. But, none the less, it was interesting. Maathai had many struggles, while she dealt with divorce, discrimination, death, jail, law enforcement, government, along with losing her job, her children, and her house. All of these things and she still managed to strive towards what she had been working on for so long. She viewed these things as “what was meant to be” and kept her head held high as she pushed through the struggle. Her work with the Green Belt Movement had its ups and downs, facing much opposition from the government. Eventually she partnered with the Norwegian Forestry Society and things began to look good, but like most things in her life, dreams eventually began to fall as the government didn’t allow her the freedom or respect she deserved.
I think Wangari Maathai is an amazing woman. She didn’t let anything get in her way, doing anything and everything just to get the point across that inequality is okay. She struggled time and time again but each time she gained more knowledge and understanding.
I completely agree with you, Sam. Maathai is a truly amazing woman who never lost hope in herself and always pushed forward with her dreams. If I had gone through as much pain throughout life as she had I honestly don't know if I'd be able to move on, but she is living proof that no matter what obstacles are put in front of you, you can always proceed and make the best out of each situation.
ReplyDeleteShe definitely never gained the respect that she deserved, and that's what's so interesting to me about these peoples stories is the hardship's they had to face and overcome. This book was most definitely an interesting read and I'm sure we both came away from it a little wiser and more curious than ever about the struggles some people face and how they seem to keep perservering.
Sam, I agree with you 100%. If I were to ever go through any of the things or even a few of that things that she went through I wouldn't be able to handle it. The whole part with her husband divorcing her because, "too educated, too strong, too successful, too stubborn, and too hard to control." is bologna. The fact that the culture is so different with women's rights and where they should be in culture is ridiculous. I also agree that Wangari Maathai is a truly inspirational women for that things that she has over come. She got shut down so many times, and kept standing back up, I think that everyone should learn from this and try to bounce back as quickly as she did.
ReplyDeleteSam I completely agree with you. Wangari Maathai has faced so much adversity in her life. I've been told that a persons greatness can be measured by when you fall down, how high you are able to bounce back up. Maathai does this many times throughout her life and she always bounces back higher than where she was. From reading about her life is so inspirational and not only because of her achievements, but I rally like how the book shows how she got to where she is. And in many cases that is what is most important.
ReplyDeleteI think the way you worded your response to chapter 7-12 was perfect. You captured the essence of Wangari by talking about her determination to succeed and her understanding of the world. These chapters did hold a lot of information, so it was quite informational and overwhelming at times, but the major points get across. I love how it tells me about all her struggles that eventually after hard work and determination led to her success. Wangari is so full of inspirational words and reflective comments throughout her memoir, and that by far was my favorite aspect of the book. No matter what the reader has going on in their life, they can relate to Wangari in some way, and learn from the lessons she learned if they pay close enough attention.
ReplyDelete