As for the first six chapters of Unbowed by Wangari Maathai I thought it was amazing, it has honestly so far been the most entertaining book that I have read in school I didn’t want to put the book down. I think that the way she sets up the story is cool because she talks about back then and then now so it goes back and forth its not bland and it keeps your attention. The best way that she keeps everyone’s attention is going into so much detail, I think that she can help us with our own writing so that we can keep the readers attention. She compares things from when she was a kids to when she went back after so many years and the things have changed overtime.
Wangari’s life is very interesting and I believe that she worked hard growing up to get where she was as a professor. We find out so much about her background and family. I couldn’t imagine living the life that she did, having to travel so far to see family. As the chapters went on I really liked how she finally got to live a happy life as a professor and marry someone.
All in all I think that the book is just going to get better as we find out more about the environment and how it has effected her and others, but also more about her life and what she does. One last thing is that I feel the pictures at the end of the six chapters make it interesting to see what things looked liked awhile back and recently.
I agree with you the style of reading here worked well where she goes from passed to present. She would explain a certain place back when she was a kid and then talk about how it has changed nowadays. The reason why I liked this style of writing was because Wangari Mangari does an excellent job of describing everything. Not only does she give a great description but she also explains what she was thinking at that moment too. The most interesting part I liked reading about was her family’s culture how work. Part of the culture is the males can have more than one wife but they have to be able to support their family. The reason why I like learning about her culture so much is because I don’t know anything about African culture and he does a great job of describing the culture to have a firm grasp of without drawing it out in long paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteThe thing that is throwing me off is how distant she was from her father. In her culture it is not unlikely for the father to just work and support this wives and children without really getting to know them. It is weird how all the wives live in this community set up by the father yet the father stays out of their lives. The best why that describes this is she cannot even remember what her father’s face looks like. Also when she is describing her father, most of the description is form other people in the village instead of her own description.