I thought that this idea for a video was very interesting! Sometimes when people try to make videos like this they get caught up in non-relevant things and that usually makes the video boring. This on the other hand did not The short film was planned out very well as almost like a slide show that kept Annie Leonard (the speaker) on topic. In the beginning Annie tells us how one time she followed where stuff goes when it takes its journey, this would make the topic more interesting considering that she did the journey herself. Because the film was set up how it was it was easy for me to focus through it with her then the five main drawings, with animation to the cartoons. Later the drawings went off to give it more details about the government, and corporations for example. There were a few things that caught my eye when I was watching the film so I wrote them down. One was that after six months of having a new item ninety nine percent of the time it is junked after the six months. That’s unbelievable and honestly disgusting that we are so into getting the new “hot” items. Also she raised a point about computers I made a connection with this because we are all college students and a strong majority have laptops. These are only good for so long until the new faster way of doing something comes out, or they even break. As Annie said people are now building things just so they make it home so they can break there and we will get a new one. I also connected it at the end to Jensen’s article “Forgetting Shorter Showers” in a sense that Annie kind of bashes that we cant help even if we do reuse reduce and recycle. Over all I thought that this was a very interesting video that would interest a lot of people.
A Blog for use by students in ENG 100 First Year Writing Seminar "Thinking Green: Expanding Your Environmental Consciousness" with Prof. Gretchen Legler at the University of Maine Farmington, Spring 2011.
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
The Story of Stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had seen this video, The Story of Stuff, once my sophomore year of high school; it was just as interesting to watch again though. I found it intriguing and it definitely catches my attention every time I watch it. The narrator never fails to relate the situations that are created from our materials economy to our everyday life. The way she represents how the environment, government, and consumers are thinking and being used in this system everything seems to make more sense. It is an eye opening video because it is not very often that people actually think about how their consumerism is effecting the rest of the world or how that radio on the shelf at Walmart came to be four dollar after everything it took to put it together and get it there.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that all of us fall for the trick of the advertisements of needing all of the latest, greatest, and newest stuff is quite upsetting. Since when is it better to destroy the planet you live on just so you can have the latest cell phone, iPod, television, or computer? You can tell this woman is really passionate about what she is presenting and really wants people to know the truth about what is happening to our world. I think in the last several years, issues such as the ones being represented in this video are becoming more known and they are doing more thing to save the planet, but we are still having the problems with big business and the government running the country and therefore the future of the earth.