Friday, March 18, 2011

Dr. Oyieke's Presentation

I attended Dr. Oyieke's presentation on Thursday at 6:30. I wasn't sure what to expect when I entered the presentation, but I made sure that I entered the room with an open mind. Our teacher, Gretchen, began by giving Dr. Oyieke a brief introduction, and then the presentation took off. She quoted notable women throughout history on what they thought about environmental protection as well as women's roles in keeping the environment healthy. She also began stating many reasons as to why both men and women participate in jobs that help save the environment. For men, they needed money to help feed their family or provide a better life. For women, they wanted their children to have a better future than what they had been through, so clearly there was a huge difference between these two reasonings.
I truly enjoyed everything that Dr. Oyieke had to say and I really liked hearing about her homeland of Kenya. People from Africa always seem to fascinate me with the experiences they've been through and how their styles of living are so much different from the lives us American's live. The few pictures that she had to show of her homeland showed a beautiful land full of many environmental opportunities. One day, I would like to go visit Africa to get a firsthand look at these lands and really experience for myself the struggles these peoples deal with every single day. Who knows, maybe if I ever made it over there I would volunteer some time to help with some environmentally friendly opportunities going on within those lands. I think that'd be an awesome thing to participate in, but who knows if I'll ever make it over there. I'm very thankful to have seen Dr. Oyieke's presentation and hear what she had to say. She was a very well educated woman who could seriously help change the future of our planet with her words of wisdom. Well, at least, I have faith in her doing so.

1 comment:

  1. I was unable to attend either of the presentations by Dr. Oyieke. But through reading all the blog posts one thing I really like that she addressed were two reasons why people participate in jobs that help save the environment. One being to help their family and to make money and the other being to make the environment a better place for their children. I really like this because I think it's important to try to make the environment better and better instead of continuing on this downward spiral of using up our most of our natural resources and polluting the air. It;s nice to have these blog posts up to read about what the presentations were and I think everyone did a great job of pointing out the key aspects of her presentation.

    ReplyDelete