Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: Chapters 6-11

As an animal and organic food lover, I find a good relation with the book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I feel for the animals when CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) and GMs (genetic modification) are mentioned for extreme vegetable mutation such as excessive growth. I enjoy how a family such as Barbara's is able to commit to such a life where most in American society usually fall to the foods that are produced and brought into grocery stores.

I enjoy that the family raises their own animals and grow their own vegetables. It all reminds me of when my mother had a farm. She had many different animals such as chickens, a horse, two pigs, a cow, and a few ducks. Mother also had a very large garden where many different vegetables grew through the different seasons such as tomatoes, lettuce, squash, peas, carrots, and many other types of vegetable species. One thing that my mother would not do is butcher any of her animals... she loved animals too much and would never decide to have them sent for butchering. So we still lived off of the grocery store meats where my mom never had heart able to turn away living animals for food.

Another thing I enjoy about the book is the amount of factual information spread throughout. So many new things to learn like with page 164 of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: Losing the Bug Arms Race- Which gives much information on pesticides and what they do.

All in all, this book is a great read and I cannot possibly wait to see how it ends!!!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of the things you said Tyler. My family has a very large garden, that we plant in every year and we also raise pigs. Unlike your family though, we do raise them to butcher. This is definitely a tough decision to make, but in the end we know it is better quality meat and since it has been happening since I was just a young child I guess it has just always been a part of my life. I also love how Kingsolver throws in so many facts throughout the book. It has many facts that only go to support the points Kingsolver is trying to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler I agree with a lot of the things you say. I think its really great how you can relate with the book so well being an animal and organic food lover. I think that's really cool! I also agree that the factual information spread throughout the book is a great thing. Because with righting like this you always need to make points that capture the readers interest and draw them into the story. The factual information does that really well.

    ReplyDelete