Thursday, April 28, 2011

Koviashuvik Trip


I really had no idea what to expect for the trip to Koviashuvik, but I was definitely inspired by the experience. At first I didn't realize that the entire place was run by only two people with some help from apprentices, it is amazing what they created and are living. My favorite thing about their home was the cellar that was dug into the ground to store their food, it looks just like a gnome house! It's really flooring how much knowledge it takes to run such an operation, and how clearly gratifying it is. So many of the practices that are used at Koviashuvik have been lost to humans and it's so neat to know a place that continues to teach them. I thought it was really interesting to actually go out into their field where they grow food and hear one of the songs they sing as they plant. I definitely feel like our society has lost touch with our connection with food and knowing how the whole process works and what a miracle it really is. The rewards of their lifestyle are very evident and encouraged me even more to join the local food lifestyle and help spread awareness about it. There are so many different options of foods to grow, way more than is available at a grocery store and MUCH tastier and healthier. I definitely won't forget about Koviashuvik and that day, and hope to return someday to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment