Tuesday, April 5, 2011

chapters 6-11

First off I like how well Barbara Kingsolver describes everything in detailed in her book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". Just the way she can paint a picture of each object as if you were looking right at it. But the thing I do not like about her writing is it jumps around a lot and is hard to follow. She will be describing something in full detail and just move on to a different subject with no clear transition. But over all I like the book as a whole because it is easy to connect with because it is about her everyday life.
            One interesting thing I got out of this section that I did not know before was about their mother’s day gifts. The family gave tomato plants out to people for mother’s day. But the thing I never heard before was when receiving a plant form someone it is unlucky to say thank you. It is said that if you say thank you for receiving a plant then that plant will shortly die. While reading this section I came up with a question that was about the nutrient section. The Yoga teach that is a friend of Kingsolver talked about how they are not a vegetarian but only eat free ranging meat. Which is livestock that is not breed in a slaughterhouse and breed to gain more weight faster. They question I had was there a taste difference in the two kinds.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your point, Bryan, about never having heard that by giving plants as a gift you're not supposed to say thank you. I found that to be quite weird considering I like to say thank you no matter what the present is that's being given to me. I guess everyone just has their own personal ethics towards certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bryan I really liked the part about the Mother's Day gifts. I think that's a really cool thing to do. Also I do sort of agree that sometimes Kingsolver's writing can be a little bit jumpy. I still do really like it and it keeps the attention of the reader. Overall I've enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete