I really enjoyed this book because it covered many things that I have been struggling to grasp in my own head. Since Middle Level, I have been trying to figure out how I could support the local community more. Unlike Kingsolver, my family never understood the importance of local foods or what the food that they were putting into their mouths was doing to their bodies. Kingsolver really got into the things that most Americans use as excuses for NOT eating locally or supporting the local economy. For instance, she talks about the fact that we can't pay an extra dollar on local eggs compared to industrialized eggs, but we somehow find money to buy new iPods, or 200 dollar stereo systems. Where have priorities gone?
I also really like how Kingsolver puts in recipes and side notes explaining and backing up her thoughts throughout Animal, Vegetable, Miracle because it only supports her strongly announced facts and ideas that much more.
This was a great read and an has inspired me to take on such a challenge- on a much lower scale of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment