Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Final Note: AVM

I thought I knew a lot of the dark, dirty secrets that are hidden in our food industry but after concluding, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I feel I have a much better understanding of the processes. I felt a variety of different emotions as I read this book, and the more information I learned about alternatives to the money-driven agribusiness that we are in, the more confident I felt that I really can make positive changes in my lifestyle. I really enjoyed how the book was organized and especially the actual recipes that their family made from locally grown food. Once the statistics were revealed, I had a hard time thinking of reasons why I shouldn't make a transition into a more food-conscious human being. It's one thing to hear about the issues we face concerning what our food has become and being encouraged to break the cycle by various outlets. I was definitely inspired by the first-hand story of a family who began in the cycle of agribusiness, and worked their way into a self-sustainable lifestyle that turned out to be rewarding in many, many ways. It was also interesting to read about the children being raised on a farm and learning how to do everything from experience during this modern age. With all of the benefits that come with being apart of the local food movement, including health, community, satisfaction, and keeping varieties alive; I am grateful to have learned about it and would love to get involved. This book was a pleasant, enlightening surprise for me and has opened my eyes to a silver lining that keeps growing as knowledge spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment