Wow there was so much to say about Chris and Ashirah's house and how they live. Over the weekend up until we got there I had been thinking about what I expected the farm school to be. Firstly I thought that there was going to be school children running around doing farm work. I didn't realize that it was going to be Chris and Ashirah teaching classes periodically, nor did I think it was going to be the set up that it was. As we walked to their house I thought why do they need to be so deep into the woods but it gives off a warm earthy nature to their home and surroundings. I couldn't believe that I would ever meet someone like this. I didn't know it could be so accessible and how open they are to teaching people about how they live and their lifestyle. Their house was adorable and I liked the set up so much when we went to look inside. I liked how it seems that they are outside for most of the day, a lot of people are not outside that much anymore. The picture that I took was all of the different types of food they made on the hand made wooden table. I've seen most of this food before, for example I had the "indian corn" hanging in my old house because it is so beautiful. I have no idea you could grind it up to make a type of flower that was crazy to me. Then for Chris to go on and talk about acorn flower. I never thought that you could make something to eat out of acorns. Learning how to live like this would obviously take a long time studying what wild plants you can and can't eat like the green root that Chris randomly dig out of the ground when we were walking to wash off the parsnip. I thought that this field trip really opened my eyes about living with what you have. It also connected with the reading we just did!
A Blog for use by students in ENG 100 First Year Writing Seminar "Thinking Green: Expanding Your Environmental Consciousness" with Prof. Gretchen Legler at the University of Maine Farmington, Spring 2011.
Monday, April 25, 2011
Field Trip
Wow there was so much to say about Chris and Ashirah's house and how they live. Over the weekend up until we got there I had been thinking about what I expected the farm school to be. Firstly I thought that there was going to be school children running around doing farm work. I didn't realize that it was going to be Chris and Ashirah teaching classes periodically, nor did I think it was going to be the set up that it was. As we walked to their house I thought why do they need to be so deep into the woods but it gives off a warm earthy nature to their home and surroundings. I couldn't believe that I would ever meet someone like this. I didn't know it could be so accessible and how open they are to teaching people about how they live and their lifestyle. Their house was adorable and I liked the set up so much when we went to look inside. I liked how it seems that they are outside for most of the day, a lot of people are not outside that much anymore. The picture that I took was all of the different types of food they made on the hand made wooden table. I've seen most of this food before, for example I had the "indian corn" hanging in my old house because it is so beautiful. I have no idea you could grind it up to make a type of flower that was crazy to me. Then for Chris to go on and talk about acorn flower. I never thought that you could make something to eat out of acorns. Learning how to live like this would obviously take a long time studying what wild plants you can and can't eat like the green root that Chris randomly dig out of the ground when we were walking to wash off the parsnip. I thought that this field trip really opened my eyes about living with what you have. It also connected with the reading we just did!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment