Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Chapters 6-11

In Barbara Kingsolver’s book, “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle”, she tells an interesting story of how she raised her kids, met her husband, and moved to a new landscape. She raised two kids on her own for a while because she was recently divorced. She was a writer who would travel to a college where she meets her new husband. He didn’t want to move and neither did she so they did summers at his house (the farm) and school year for the kids where she lived. Eventually she took the initiative and deiced to move to the farm. They had a plan to live off of all they’re grown food and also locals farms. I think that this is a really cool idea that pretty much no one does now a days. I have two major farms in my town and everyone visits them but I don’t think that anyone would go out of their way to only eat what they and local farms grow. It takes a lot of energy.

One part of the story that caught my attention in one of the chapters 6-11 is about the party that Barbara Kingsolver threw. She had over one hundred guest and even throwing a party for ten feels like you have so many things to plan for that. She planned that they would use all local food. This was unbelievable; I didn’t know how you could make that much healthy food for that many people without going to Shaw’s or Hannaford. She had family and friends come from all over, eat, and sleep at her house. She pulled it off. I thought that was amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Anya, in your post when you mentioned Kingsolver's party that she threw, I was just as surprised about how she pulled it off. For some reason, my first thought was that it would be hard work to make enough food for 100 people from scratch but I now know it is most definitely capable of being done. It goes to show you how you can eat naturally and healthy, feed plenty of people, and don't even need to take a trip to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete