A Blog for use by students in ENG 100 First Year Writing Seminar "Thinking Green: Expanding Your Environmental Consciousness" with Prof. Gretchen Legler at the University of Maine Farmington, Spring 2011.
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Chapters 6-11
These chapters were quite interesting to read. In chapter 6, Lily wants to raise chickens not only for their eggs but for their meat as well. This caused me to ask myself if I would ever raise chickens for these purposes since I love chicken but have never had to kill them for my own eating purposes. In chapter 7, the authors mentions how Southern manners forbid people from saying "thank you" if you recieve a plant. I personally believe you should say thank you for recieving anything at all, and a plant would not be an exception in my book. That was just one of the more odd things I had read from this book so far. In chapter 9, Barbara explains the excitement of her and her family making cheese. Making any food from scratch must be an excitement, let alone making something like chesse. I know that I like being able to go out and buy my foods without having to make them myself. That's one of the things I'm more thankful for that I don't have to do. In the last chapter, Camille begins promoting organic foods. I have never really eaten many organic foods but I can see why people would promote them. Organic foods seem much better than the regular foods that we buy today at our supermarkets, and if more people shopped for organic foods it seems as if they would certainly be shopping for a better cause, since organic foods are truly the better choice for people in my opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment