First of all, I just have to say that the lifestyle that Chris and Ashirah live inspired me. I had no idea that just twenty minutes away from UMF there were people who were choosing to live the way they do, almost completely from the earth. The relationship that Chris had with the dirt on that land was amazing. You could just tell that he loved his land, vegetables, and pond just as much as life itself while he sang his songs about planting and harvesting from the earth. He stated that he finds his happiness in producing his own food on his own land, in the same soil that his family lives on.
The fact that they teach others about how they can live and be more connected to the land is amazing to me. They have chosen a life of living in their small cabin in the woods where they can raise their two adorable children, yet they still open up to teach others about the gifts that the earth can provide. Participating in an apprenticeship at Koviashuvik with Chris and Ashirah would be such an amazing experience. I mean, I have grown up gardening with my parents, but getting to experience Koviashuvik in planting or harvesting season would be such a different experience. Just going there for a few hours has opened up my eyes to what I can do to produce resources for myself from the land.
No comments:
Post a Comment