Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Arboretum Tour

Today, was...well... not the best day for a tour of trees, but we got to see some beautiful sights none the less.


The tree I decided to focus on was the Eastern White Pine located between the CHD building and the Olsen Student Center. This tree caught my eye because of its immense height - having the potential to get up to 200 feet (UMF Arboretum Tour Guide, Pg. 8) - and the way it looked standing directly under it. The Eastern White Pine wood is a softwood, being very versatile. This tree was also one of my favorites because it was one of the few trees that I remember identifying in my AP Environmental Science class in high school. "Soft blue-green needles, 3-5 inches long, are found in bunches of five"(UMF Arboretum Tour Guide, pg. 8) is something I distinctly remember my teacher informing us as we prepared for the Envirothon.


Through the one inch window, I focused on the bark, one of my favorite features of the Eastern White Pine. I noticed that the bark is very textured and rough as I scraped my hands across the trunk. I noticed that the bark was lined with cracks that may inhabit many sorts of creatures in the summer time. The smell of pine was distinct in the crisp morning air. The tree reminded me of my old house of which we had many pine. I would love to climb the trees and feel a sense of power over the world. This tree is pretty amazing.

4 comments:

  1. The tree that caught my attention the most was the Northern White-cedar. This tree is found in the back of the Franklin hall parking lot. The tree looks very old because it looks like you can just peal the bark right off of it. The bark itself is ruff and has thin pieces unlike a lot of other trees that have dense bark. When I used the one-inch window I looked at the way the tree limbs were coming out. The way they were hanging with the needles of the tree drooping down looked as if this tree could be in a dark, scary movie. I bet when there is a bright moon this tree casts a creepy shadow that you only see in cartoons. I’m sure that in the summer the pine needles on this tree have that minty smell to them and get your hands somewhat sticky when you pick them up. As of right now I can’t smell them because of this cold I have and I’m not planning on taking my hands out of my pockets and getting frostbite to touch the needles.
    This type of tree is also known as Arborvitae which means the tree of live. It is called this because Native Americans used this tree to treat scurvy (UMF Arboretum guide, Pg. 12). Not only is this great knowledge that people have used for thousands of years but many other plants and trees have been used to help cure diseases throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam LaMonda- I also loved seeing this tree on the tour. It was so tall, and when we stood right underneath it seemed even taller. The bark of the tree was very unique, but the feature I loved the most about the Eastern White Pine was the limbs. The limbs were so expansive and the trunk separated into two once you got a little bit higher up to the top of the tree. This tree reminds me of New England and makes me feel right at home. I think that is so cool how you got to take an AP Environmental Science class in high school Sam- I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam first off I loved the picture you took of the tree! It was very unique angle of the tree that shows a totally different view of the beauty of the tree. Differently than my writing you talked about the texture and smell of the tree. This is a very good way to describe the tree in a whole new look. Also the fact that you knew about these trees is already interesting to me. Every tree is so different and I think that more people should know about them. In Maine we have a ton of woods, why not walk around and learn more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam,
    I love your picture of the pine. It makes my head spin! Prof. L.

    ReplyDelete