
Although I enjoyed all the trees on the Arboretum Tour, my favorite has to be the Sugar Maple. There are so many great qualities about this tree that make it great. For example, in the summer it provides cool shade on hot summer days around campus, and in the spring you can collect sap from it to make maple syrup. Homemade maple syrup is one of my favorite things on my pancakes or waffles in the morning. The big trunk branches out into smaller and smaller branches, as it gets closer to the sky. This specific tree is quite old and you can tell by looking at the bark on the trunk and the branches off from it. Currently, the bark on the trunk is very rough. I am curious as to how old this tree actually is. In the summer, this tree has beautiful bright green leaves. However in the fall, the leaves turn a burning orange and yellow. By winter the leaves have all fallen off due to the cold. Year round it is a beautiful tree. In my 1-inch window, I see a part of a branch with smaller twigs coming off from it. A tree is a symbol of life to me. I have grown up my whole life around trees so it is a reminder of my past and a glimpse at my future. I want to live in a very rural area when I am older and hopefully be around many sugar maples so I can use them for my own maple syrup!
I completely agree with you Alexa! There is nothing better than homemade maple syrup! Your picture is really pretty and I like how you talked about the branches of the tree. They are so expansive and beautiful all year round, whether there are leaves or not. It is amazing how sugar maples are capable of so much, shade in the summer, beautiful colored leaves in the fall and sap in the winter and spring months. Sugar maples are a part of my childhood and I would definitely tap my own trees and make my own maple syrup in the future!
ReplyDeleteI like how Alexa discussed all the different qualities of the tree but I specifically liked how she mentioned the maple sugar because who doesn’t like that. I think that she went into very great detail when she talked about the tree mentioning how the branches get smaller when they go up toward the sky. And the final thing I liked how she said the tree was a symbol of her life. And how she wants to have the sugar maples around where she lives so she can use them.
ReplyDeleteI love this picture! The sugar maple was a beautiful tree. Coming from Vermont, it really made me think of home. I like how you talk about the many uses of the sugar maple. It is amazing how many uses trees have in our society. I also like how the picture captures the sunlight and shadow of the tree. This picture is very calming. I really enjoyed seeing this tree and having a quick flashback to my home that was filled with sugar maples.
ReplyDelete