The Center for Human Development is a very useful tool to college students. There are many things that can be utilized to help students lead a successful path during their time here at UMF. On the first floor, there are offices for disability accommodations, writing center, math clinic, and tutoring and SI. These programs allow students to seek help when needed. Instead of going through college drowning in discouragement, students can get help and learn how to accommodate disabilities or academic weaknesses. On the second floor of the Center for Human Development is offices mental health counseling, career counseling, advising, and international exchange programs. This floor is helpful for problems that can be addressed that aren’t necessarily academic related. It’s good to know that the university actually cares about its students. The third floor holds the testing center, a life saver for all of those who are required to take the PRAXIS. I personally think that the most helpful resource at the Center for Human Development is Writing Center and Math Clinic. Although I am a proficient writer and mathematician, these subjects are very scary for some people. Knowing that there is an office that is always available to look over papers, proof read, or help with math homework is very reassuring. The resource that I will find myself using most often is the career assistance. Being a college student and responsible for all financial costs can be very overwhelming. I haven’t yet used the CHD, but I presume that I will be using it often with my English class. It never hurts to have an extra set of eyes looking over your work.
The CHD building is like a life jacket on a sinking ship.
I took a picture with Lori Hutchinson, Program Coordinator. She was pleased to take a picture with me and explained all the resources that were available at the Center for Human Development. Her favorite part about working at the CHD building was working with the 18-22 age group. She likes being apart of the transition, finding a career, getting education, figuring out their future. She said that she is a school geek and that she likes school, so this is what is best for her.
HI Sam,
ReplyDeleteGreat analogy re: the CHD--life jacket on a sinking ship! Best, Prof. L.