Monday, January 31, 2011

Arboretum Tour Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens)

The blue spruce, a native of the rocky mountains, sits ever so naturally in our neck of the wood. Peculiar how a tree can have bare so much hospitality, its illuminating strength exaggerates its story as it silently becomes part of the background. Overlooked by many during its passing days this spruce protects its needs from natural elements with a concentrated wax coat. Perpetually older than many university students, its wisdom is kept a secret within its internal structure based upon virtue and survival. It's comforting tint of blue resurrects a sense of natural being inside of me, much like the blue waves of the ocean, or drops of rain water the needles represent a natural tint created by the naturally occurring world that surrounds us. I can't help but reflect on how thankful I am to see trees when I peer out my window, and see only tree through my one inch window. As a product of Maine I have been blessed and surrounded by natural life that surprisingly enough many have not encountered. The blue spruce symbolizes strength, order and respect for those who have gained a virtue of patience. Its captivating structure stretches to heights man has managed to copy. While mankind recognizes trees for their material worth, humankind shall recognize the wisdom and spirit exemplified by the blue spruce as it maintains a sense of pride mankind only hopes to duplicate.







Allie Valente

No comments:

Post a Comment